Saturday, September 8, 2007

My Sacred Life - Day 7

I am loving this project! Thank you again, Carla!!! Also thank you for the warm welcome from Martie and Kate. I am enjoying and overwhelmed by reading everyones writing and hoping to make some wonderful friends here.

Saturday Ripples...

I began my weekend coming to my senses at a lovely late hour and proceeded to enjoy a beautiful day of sunshine, reading with the sound of waves crashing on nearby rocks and later in the kitchen cooking.
I re read some of my favorite pieces from Hafiz and Rumi. Bliss.
I can't spent too long reading because it's so passionate and so jarring in a beautiful way that I have to read small bits and take them in - think on them and appreciate them. And of course, try to incorporate the gifts of wisdom and light to my everyday life. Sometimes much more easily said than done... but what a beautiful and powerful reminder. I'd thought I'd share a few that seemed to embrace me today.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
"Language is an annoying clatter in the mill of meaning." - Rumi (from The Glance, as translated by Coleman Barks)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Love Rests on no foundation
It is an endless ocean,
with no beginning or end.
Imagine,
a suspended ocean,
riding on a cushion of ancient secrets.
All souls have drowned in it,
and now dwell there.
One drop of that ocean is hope,
and the rest is fear.
- Rumi (from Hush, Don't Say Anything to God as translated by Shahram Shiva)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and also some gifts from Hafiz, from The Gift, Poems by Hafiz - The Great Sufi Master as translated by Daniel Ladinsky...

Even
After
All this time
The sun never says to the earth,

"You owe
me."

Look
What happens
With a love like that,
It lights the
Whole
Sky.


When
No one is looking

I swallow deserts and clouds
And chew on mountains knowing
They are sweet
Bones!

When no one is looking and I want
To kiss
God

I just lift my own hand
To

My

Mouth.


Two Giant Fat People
God
And I have become
Like two giant fat people
Living in a
Tiny boat.
We
Keep
Bumping into each other and

L
a
u
g
h
i
n
g
.


Two Bears
Once
After a hard day's forage
Two bears sat together in silence
On a beautiful vista
Watching the sun go down
And feeling deeply grateful
For life.

Though, after a while
A thought-provoking conversation began
Which turned to the topic of
Fame.

The one bear said,
"Did you hear about Rustam?
He has become famous
And travels from city to city
In a golden cage;

He performs to hundreds of people
Who laugh and applaud
His carnival
Stunts."

The other bear thought for
a few seconds

Then started
Weeping.


Ohhh... tears. Good tears, happy and full. Lovely day.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hungarian Mushroom Soup (I added potatos!) from Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
2T Butter
2C chopped onions
1.5-2 lbs mushrooms (I mix varieties usually - today just went w/button)
salt to taste
2-3t dry dill
1T mild paprika (I used smoked and a little more - like the flavor)
2 t fresh lemon juice
3T flour
2C mushroom or veggie broth
1C milk (or cream!)
pepper to taste
1/2C sour cream

Melt the butter in a dutch oven or large pot
Add onions and saute over medium heat for about 5 mins
Add mushrooms, salt, dill and paprika
Stir well and cover for about 15 mins, stirring occasionally
Add lemon juice
Gradually sprinkle in flour, stirring
Cook 5 mins
Add broth and cover for 10 mins, stirring often
Add milk (or cream!) and pepper
Check seasoning and adjust to taste
Whisk in sour cream over gentle heat
Serve hot
Yum-o!

While surfing the web earlier this week, I found the new video from Annie Lennox from her coming CD, Songs of Mass Destruction. There's an informational site on the CD that can be found here:
http://www.songsofmassdestruction.info/annie_lennox/en/
I've long been a fan her her voice and remarkable lyrics and am anxiously awaiting the new release! Yay!
There's also a wonderful interview on the above mentioned site if there are some fellow fans out there who might be interested.




Beneath A Phrygian Sky - Loreena McKennitt

The moonlight it was dancing
On the waves, out on the sea
The stars of heaven hovered
In a shimmering galaxy
A voice from down the ages
So in haunting in its song
These ancient stones will tell us
Our love must make us strong
The breeze it wrapped around me
As I stood there on the shore
And listened to this voice
Like I never heard before
Our battles they may find us
No choice may ours to be
But hold the banner proudly
The truth will set us free
My mind was called across the years
Of rages and of strife
Of all the human misery
And all the waste of life
We wondered where our God was
In the face of so much pain
I looked up to the stars above
To find you once again
We travelled the wide oceans
Heard many call your name
With sword and gun and hatred
It all seemed much the same
Some used your name for glory
Some used it for their gain
Yet when liberty lay wanting
No lives were lost in vain
Is it not our place to wonder
As the sky does weep with tears
And all the living creatures
Look on with mortal fear
It is ours to hold the banner
Is ours to hold it long
It is ours to carry forward
Our love must make us strong
And as the warm wind carried
Its song into the night
I closed my eyes and tarried
Until the morning light
As the last star it shimmered
And the new sun’s day gave birth
It was in this magic moment
Came this prayer for mother earth
Reprise:
The moonlight it was dancing
On the waves, out on the sea
The stars of heaven hovered
In a shimmering galaxy
A voice from down the ages
So in haunting in its song
The ancient stones will tell us
Our love will make us strong

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing quotes from Rumi and Hafiz. Both are new to me, but I'll be getting the books you mentioned very soon to further explore their words! You photos are great too. And the mushroom soup - I too have that cookbook! Enjoy. I look forward to future posts!