Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Sacred Life - Day 3


The little lunch truck pulls in front of my office shortly after noon. Some days it's too busy to jump out and some days, it's necessary to jump out.
I love food. I love cooking it or eating it whether it's a fine meal or an occasional order of cheese fries with a side of salsa and mustard (yeah I know - people at work look at me funny too hehehe).
Food, for me, is quite magical not only for the nutritious (tho I don't know if cheese fries falls into this category) values but also as an extension of myself. It's an extension of my thoughts, intention and a manifestation of my love for those I cook for (and myself). I enjoy shopping at farmers markets or the local grocery store to touch, sample , and pick gems to create something special. It's the texture, the color, the scent... ideas that come to me with what's on hand - what's fresh. I don't prepare a lot of "menus" in my head... it's more of what I get inspired to create while I'm shopping... tho NEVER shop on an empty stomach, mind you. LOL
This is also a connection and way of dealing with life... things come, make the best it or the choices at hand. I try to make it graceful and I guess in a strange way, perhaps my cheese fry days are a parallel to my not so graceful days of life... lol. It's all about choices. The art of taking flavors and have them sing in harmony with their layers of complexity. I like finding the balance and trying something new. I'd like to think that spills into my daily life.
Preparing and cooking food is also a way of being present and aware of blessings for me. I get excited over gardening - watching veggies and fruit grow (flowers too for that matter). I hope to one day have a large garden but at this time - I have my pots of herbs. It's exciting for me because you start with caring for the ground, adding simple seeds, tending and then watching the growth and harvesting... to then create something to share. It's a miracle. It's beautiful and it makes me incredibly happy and excited. It's sacred time. In a world where it's more "convinient" to get a supersized meal on the go... being able to have time to honor life and be grateful and share love... that to me is true magic.
I've been thinking a lot about my spiritual path. The want and need to serve and push my limits of comfort in making positive change. Though I know, it's not about a timetable or a destination, I get impatient and frustrated, feel behind at times... I know it's the everyday moments that truely make a spiritual path. Offering a kind word, an ear, a smile, a meal. It's all a ripple and each ripple affects everything around me. Food helps me remember that.
Well... that little idea gave me quite the ramble fest.

You Owe Me Nothing In Return - Alanis Morissette

I'll give you countless amounts of outright acceptance if you want it
I will give you encouragement to choose the path that you want if you need it
You can speak of anger and doubts your fears and freak outs and I'll hold it
You can share your so-called shame filled accounts of times in your life and I won't judge it
(and there are no strings attached to it)
You owe me nothing for giving the love that I give
You owe me nothing for caring the way that I have
I give you thanks for receiving it's my privilege
And you owe me nothing in return
You can ask for space for yourself and only yourself and I'll grant it
You can ask for freedom as well or time to travel and you'll have it
You can ask to live by yourself or love someone else and I'll support it
You can ask for anything you want anything at all and I'll understand it
(and there are no strings attached to it)
You owe me nothing for giving the love that I give
You owe me nothing for caring the way that I have
I give you thanks for receiving it's my privilege
And you owe me nothing in return
I bet you're wondering when the next payback shoe will eventually drop
I bet you're wondering when my conditional police will force you to cough up
I bet wonder how far you have now danced you way back into debt
This is the only kind of love as I understand it that there really is
You can express your deepest of truths even if it means I'll lose you and I'll hear it
You can fall into the abyss on your way to your bliss I'll empathize with
You can say that you have to skip town to chase your passion I'll hear it
You can even hit rock bottom have a mid-life crisis and I'll hold it
(and there are no strings attached)
You owe me nothing for giving the love that I give
You owe me nothing for caring the way that I have
I give you thanks for receiving it's my privilege
And you owe me nothing in return


No comments: