Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Sacred Life - Day 14


What a wonderful Saturday afternoon!
It was one of those days where neither of us had plans and wanted to roam about. We set off early in the afternoon with no particular destination and hopped from shops to bakeries and coffee and ending with groceries. I snapped this photo at Mountain Mike's where we waited for her combo and my veggie pizzas... yum-o and no cooking or dishes for me. YAY.
I love spending time with my Mom. I'm not only blessed to have her as my Mom but also my best friend. When I think of her, I think of the person I'd most like to be. She is and has always been my hero.
Whenever I think of her... I think unconditional love. She's strong, warm, sensitive and wise. Her laughter is like music and her words ring with truth.
I love the lines on her face... signs of a life lived full with integrity, kindness and continuing growth. She hates her wrinkles... I love them. Besides... I think I'm a cause for a good number of them! :)
It's funny how our roles have changed over the past 10 years. I love caring for her, though she's not your typical seventy something. She' active, quick and in all honesty as sharp as she was when she was 50. Of course there are changes and it's still difficult for her to acknowledge some of the shifts and physical limitations. She's always been very independent and is starting, reluctantly, to ask for more help. I think she sometimes feels that she bothers me. That couldn't be further from the truth. I love that she's with me. I love our relationship. I love spending time with her. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I have loved one's who aren't close with their mothers, who lost their mothers when they were young or don't have a healthy relationship with them. When they meet her, they can't believe how close we are. How much alike we are... which always gets both our goats. lol Regardless of age, I will always be her baby as she says. I have to admit, I don't mind that at all.
My heart is full tonight... full of gratitude, joy and warmth... words can't express.

Under the Skin - Olivia Newton John

Don't believe the mirror
Cause mirrors sometimes lie
If you wanna see
the way you look to me
look into my eyes
you are beautiful to me
from without and from within
you are beautiful to me
under the skin
when i tell you that you're special
you don't believe it's true
you only see what's changed
but to me you're still the same
there's no one quite like you
you are beautiful to me
from without and from within
you are beautiful to me
under the skin
like a morning rose
reaching for the sun
from without and from within
you are beautiful to me
under the skin
under the skin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see the way you love and honor your Mother. She is a lucky woman, and I think you are a lucky son.