Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sacred Sunday - November 11, 2007

Always Near

My mom and I usually spend the weekend prior to the anniversary of my father's passing (11/13/89) together to reflect, laugh and celebrate life. We decided to go out for a nice lunch and just enjoy the crispness of the coming winter walking about. Things didn't really go as planned. We had decided on any 1 of 3 of our favorite restaurants... and for one reason or other, all were full or closed. I thought for a moment how funny that was and that my father was probably giggling as he preferred a nice home cooked meal. It flashed that perhaps he might have had a hand in this. So... I decided that if there was halibut (Mom was craving halibut) at the fish market, I would cook a nice dinner and we would just relax at home. .. otherwise may get take out and enjoy dinner at home.
So... we get to the market... and no halibut. I thought, maybe it wasn't dad...
Just as I was about to turn and leave, the owner asked if there was something I was looking for. I answered, halibut steak... and went on to say that I hadn't seen any in the window. Turns out, he just received 2 steaks with a small order that had just arrived. Hmmmm :)
So tonight...
Halibut steak with a buttery sun dried tomato creme sauce
wasabi mashed potatoes
stir fry veggies with homemade teriyaki sauce
baby bok choy with garlic and ginger
and for dinner... my dads fave... deep dish apple pie with caramel sauce
:)
My mom brought my fathers and Spike's urns out for the week and made a little altar with a little potted flowers. water, and an angel which is my Sunday photo.

In other news...
Last year, November 06, I had decided to give up meat for 1 year as a devotional. I love food. I love to cook it and eat it. The reason for the devotional was a way to connect with my own spirit as well as the divine. I didn't do it to punish myself or out of obligation.
I wanted to be aware of the herbs that I grow, the fresh veggies and fruits that are so abundant... so much so, that I had taken them for granted. I also wanted to make a promise to my spirit that I would take better care of myself... physically, mentally and spiritually.
The year went by quickly and I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I had to take time to read labels, cook more meals at home, and be disciplined more than I had with my food intake.
So this week... I've incorporated fresh fish... and although I remembered the taste of fish... preparing it now, cooking it, tasting it... has changed. I savour it... slow down... and don't waste food, as last year... I was a bit more careless with waste. My gratitude for the food... for the sacrifice of the fish/meat... it's changed in a very beautiful way. It's hard to explain... but it is an amazing experience.

Eden - 10,000 Maniacs

We are the roses in the garden, beauty with thorns among our leaves.
To pick a rose you ask your hands to bleed.
What is the reason for having roses when your blood is shed carelessly?
It must be for something more than vanity.
Believe me, the truth is we're not honest, not the people that we dream.
We're not as close as we could be.
Willing to grow but rains are shallow.
Barren and wind-scattered seed on stone and dry land, we will be.
Waiting for the light arisen to flood inside the prison.
And in that time kind words alone will teach us, no bitterness will reach us.
Reason will be guided another way.
All in time, but the clock is another demon that devours our time in Eden, in our Paradise.
Will our eyes see well beneath us, flowers all divine?
Is there still time?
If we wake and discover in life a precious love, will that waking become more heavenly?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Jon. I love how it all turned out perfectly, you, your Mom, your Dad's presence, a delicious home-cooked meal that fed your hearts as well as your bodies. I'm grateful to read your words tonight. Blessings to you!

Autumn Moon said...

Thank you, Carla.
It's been a beautiful day with many surprises.
I just recently realized people are able to respond back to comments... I'm a bit tech challenged here but I'm getting it. hehehehe
Blessings and Hugs,
J :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to remember your Dad. It is a great tradition.